Monday, July 14, 2014

UNDER THE BRIDGE: "The Keys Are in the Bay!"

The Stosh residence


Sunday, July 13, 2014

     “I visited him for the first and last time,” Gary shared with us.  “What I heard he did was not right.  Sometime, some people need to be put in jail so they can become free,” he wisely added.
     Kelly, from the Bridge Camp, had been arrested yesterday for beating his girlfriend Tina.
    “There are no drugs or alcohol in jail, so you get cleaned up – set free,” Gary explained.
     After hearing all the stories, this is what I pieced together.
     It all started yesterday when a friend in a van picked up Jersey (homeless) to give him a ride.  But the friend – the one driving - was drunk (we are told)!  As soon as he got out of the park, he sped up and promptly hit a palm tree at about 35 mph, uprooting it (very difficult to do), and flipping the van upside down.  To make matters worse, his “friend” ran from the scene and left Jersey behind; who also decides to run. 


The scene of the crime - one dead palm tree

     The cops quickly found him sitting at a pic-nic table under a pavilion at Bay Side Park; and arrested and handcuffed him thinking he was the driver.  Jersey was not exactly sober, himself.  However, after a while, they finally found out he was just a passenger and released him.  He went to the hospital to get treated.  Jersey cut his lip bad enough to require six stitches on the inside and some outside.  He also burned himself on the van exhaust pipes trying to get out of the van.

Jersey (center), his wife (right) and their wonderful
 seven year old son who sings at our services.

     But, that’s not all!  Murphy and Shelly (homeless) are parked by the bridge and hear all the commotion of the accident at the other end of the small park– blue lights, cops, ambulance, police dogs.  Shelly walks over to see what is happening even though Murphy tells her not to.  Murphy, now upset at Shelly for going, drives over to the busy accident scene.  He gets out of his van and proceeds to beat up Shelly for whatever reason.  Both having been drinking doesn’t help.
     The fact that Murphy was caught beating Shelly on video by the police dash cam does not help his case.  He was promptly arrested and thrown in jail, at which time they probably threw his jail cell key in the deepest part of the bay by the park – the same place Shelly subsequently threw his only van keys and cell phone.
     That's how the story was told to me.  When I see Murphy, I will talk to him and I will let you know his side of the story.  Stories, in the world  of the homeless, can easily become a rumor feeding frenzy!


     Gary continues, “I wasn’t going to see him again, but his mom called me and asked me to.  She softened my heart.  I’ll go visit him one more time and that’s it.”
     Gary and Jack the Fisherman Astrophysicist (7/6 post) are now the only ones left at the bridge camp out of a dozen who have come and gone.
     All these people are so sweet and pleasant to be with when they are sober.  Kelly, Tina, Jersey love the Lord Jesus Christ and confess Him openly.  But, they have a handicap which prevents them from moving forward in life; as much a handicap as someone bound to a wheelchair.


Gary and his dog

    
     Today, we find Tina standing and READING to the other homeless sitting under the pavilion out of my book The Spark in the Street!  They cry when hearing the story of Mari; they laugh upon hearing John’s story.  It is so amazing to me that so many of the homeless want to read a book about ministering to the homeless! 
      I saw Stosh who was in a hurry to ride his bike to the swim area to meet Mari so they can both go swimming.  Yes, they’re back together, again!  Can you keep up with these two?  I give Stosh the ant spray he asked for last week.  Fire ants seem to be attracted to him as he sleeps on the ground.  He shows me all the ant bites on his legs and arms.
     “Now, don’t spray this on yourself,” I counsel him.
     “Yea, Yea, I’ll spray a barrier on the ground around me when I lay down to sleep.”

     Kojak’s ribs are still mending.  I know he’s getting better because he’s starting to tell jokes, again.
     I ask him, “Kojak, how do you know so many jokes?”
     “I was a bar tender for seventeen years.”
     “Oh.”

     Robert, Mari’s pleasant, twenty-one year old son, is here with his faithful companion; his dog Hanna Montana.  Usually energetic and talkative, Robert seems reserved this week, again.
     I come and sit by him on the pic-nic table.  “Robert, why are you so quiet?”
     “It’s hot.”  The heat and humidity here can melt you like soft wax on hot pavement.
     Hunger may also be a factor.  I just fed them all cheeseburgers from MacDonald’s, and Bill brought them individual pies and water bottles.  Hopefully, Robert will feel better though he shares with me that a beer wakes him up and gives him energy.
     “I hear you play the guitar.”
     “Yea, I play the guitar, drums and trombone.”
     “We’re gonna have to have you play at our next service.  Do you know a gospel song or hymn?
     Music is a gift I try to steer them to use for the glory of the Lord. 
(Sorry, Robert, my iPhone pictures did not transfer to my computer!)


The Bridge Camp (public park).  Kelly's white van is on left

The Bay Side Camp (public park)

     The stories above involved two camps; one on one side of the bridge and one on the other side.  We know one as the Bridge Camp and the other as the Bay Side Camp (because it is located in Bay Side Park).  There are two bridges, side by side.  One is a fishing only bridge (about 1/3 mile long) and one is a four lane traffic bridge crossing the bay (Three Mile Bridge).


Though we feed them and give them some items which they need, our main purpose in coming to the homeless is their spiritual welfare; we minister to them the love of Jesus Christ.  We don’t judge or condemn them.  We respect the dignity of the individual.  We don’t take sides or tell them what to do.  If they do ask for advice, we counsel them according to the Word of God.

     We make certain they are “saved”; we encourage them in Christ; and we disciple them to be used by the Lord where they are.
    
    
     Now Bill and I move on to Mari/Jack’s camp about three miles down the road.  This is a social camp under the shade of oak trees.  Bill has been sick the past two weeks and has not been able to come with me to visit these precious children of God whom he loves very much.  They have prayed for him and are now glad to see him here and feeling better. 
        Jack the Intellectual’s tall, thin figure appears first out of the trees.  I usually pull up in the clearing and honk my horn twice so they know I’m here – no surprises. 


The Jack/Mari Camp in the oaks



     He reaches out to shake my hand and excitingly says, “Jean-Luc, I read your book,” and as his eyes open wide, “I loved chapter 14, and also the story about the Bright Neon-Green Jogging Tights and …”
     He proceeds to give me a complete book report and critique. It is so amazing that he can remember all the details from the book, as he has been drinking.  I don’t have his amazing memory even though I’m sober! 
     John walks up next to me.  We shake hands. “Yeah, and I liked Appendix C!”  He should; it’s about him!
     John is social but also enjoys his privacy.  He camps just up the railroad tracks in a well-organized camp which he shares with another man.  He loves to cook and will sometimes bring food to Jack’s camp.
     “John, I came to see you a couple times, but you weren’t there.  I’m glad to see you, brother, ‘cause I was worried about you.”
     “I took a job out of town for a couple of weeks.”
     John is strong and able for his age (60?) and he is a hard worker.  He was married for 32 years, until his wife died 18 years ago.  We believe God is going to heal him of lung cancer.  He doesn’t seem to be worried about it as he is saved, born again and going to heaven.
     I pass out cheeseburgers to everyone and while I’m speaking to Jack and John, Bill is ministering to the others.  He is passing out fruit pies and drinks.  He also brought socks, boxer shorts and a big bag of pots and pans which his wife Glenda cleared out of their kitchen.  This camp cooks some meals and they are very happy to receive pots and pans which are expensive to acquire.
     I usually bring them small propane bottles for their camping stoves, toilet paper, disinfecting wipes, socks and anything else they tell me they might need.  They never ask for much.  Today, Jack gives me a suitcase full of XL clothing which was given to them.
     “Here,” he says, “take these and give them out.  Nobody here wears XL.” 
     The homeless are contributing clothing for the homeless!  Actually, they will share amongst themselves; whether it be clothing, food, or even beer.  One may go panhandling and use the money for the whole camp.  In that aspect, they more accurately represent the first century Christian church where they all had everything in common.
   
    
Mouse killer in training at Jack's/Mari's camp!
    
     Good night, folks, and God bless y'all.


SCROLL DOWN TO THE NEXT MIRACLE BLOG!


No comments:

Post a Comment